Thursday, March 8, 2007

Shenandoah National Park

I-81 runs in a nearly north-east-to-south-west direction, roughly parallel to the Shenandoah River, which in turn runs roughly parallel to the Shenandoah National Park. The park sits on a mountain ridge, adorned by a road called "Skyline Drive." Be sure to exercise extreme caution when driving on Skyline Drive. You're likely to be tempted to pay little attention to the winding road in front of you in favor of looking out at the valley. Before I moved hear, I heard that the Shenandoah Valley was one of the most beautiful places in the United States. I had seen some photographs of how green the valley is, but I was not prepared for what this place would look like in the fall.

I've been to Skyline Drive several times with different groups of friends. There's a chance that I went on the same (or a portion of the same) hike every time. It doesn't really matter, especially if you go in different seasons, as the same hike is likely to be an entirely different experience a few months later.

I think one of my favorite hiking experiences in the Shenandoah was with my friends Richard and Heather. Some friends of theirs also joined us. After the first few stops, we realized that we weren't going to be able to get out of the car at every look-out point. We had initially planned on hiking a six-miler, but because it was already late morning, we changed our plans in favor of a mile and a half. It was a good thing we didn't get there any later than we did, as it was a Saturday and everyone else in the valley also showed up for a quick trip to the mountains that day. Who could blame them on a day like that?

Richard and I thought we'd try our hands at sawing logs the old fashioned way. We tried not to pay attention to the flack we got from the women-folk in our party.

There's plenty to do in the Shenandoah National Park. You can find a hike of just about any length to suit your hiking abilities. Heck, my nephews Peter and Adam have even hiked in the Shenandoah! Be careful if you bring kids along with you, though. You may end up looking like the Ricks.

4 comments:

Dustin, New York City said...

Well, I guess I can be the first to leave a comment on your second blog entry.

The Shenandoah Valley really is a very beautiful place. Driving from the D.C./Frederick, Maryland, area to my hometown, Charlotte, North Carolina, you go basically the entire length of the Shenandoah Valley. Last August my family and I took a weekend roadtrip down to Charlotte, because we hadn't been back home for a couple of years. We took a friend of mine who had never been to the South, much less North Carolina. The entire trip down there, however, he read a book. I couldn't understand how he could do that. How could he just sit there and read a book when we're passing by all of that beautiful scenery out there in the Shenandoah?! It made the long drive well worth it.

And fall in the valley has quite its match in the spring. Watching everything come back to life and blossom is spectacular. Though most of my experiences took place a bit farther south, in N.C., I have some great memories from growing up of trips to the mountains. I'll never forget the look and feel of those springtime days, with the warm sunshine, the gentle breeze, and the petals of springtime blooms falling from the trees in the wind.

(It also didn't hurt that a lot of those memories were made with a "female friend" of mine from high school....)

You definitely have a lot to look forward to and a lot to enjoy there in Shenandoah.

robin marie said...

i'm glad you are enjoying the shenandoah valley... maybe your next blog should be about your visit to a poultry plant... or it could be "a day in the life of a mennonite."

Angie said...

Enjoyed the post. I had seen some of those pics before when you e-mailed them, so it was nice to have a more detailed explanation of the trip and the overall experience.

Those leaves...man, I wish I could be there. I miss autumn. We just don't see those kind of colors in Phoenix.

Keep the posts coming...

Emily said...

Hey! That's hilarious! We do look pretty bad in that picture. I guess it serves us right for fooling around with your camera. I have to warn you, though, a retaliation is in effect. Check our blog for updates coming soon.....wuah..hah..hah...hah....